Near Tragedy In Tahoe: Anna Faris And 13 Family Members Exposed To Carbon Monoxide

By Marissa Perlman

North Tahoe (CBS13) — A Hollywood actress and her family nearly avoid a Thanksgiving tragedy after being exposed to carbon monoxide inside a rental property in Lake Tahoe.

Everyone survived, but first responders say this could have been deadly.

Faris and her family were renting the home through a short-term rental platform, but officials say there were no working CO detectors inside.

“When people rent something out, they have an expectation of safety,” said North Tahoe Fire Chief Michael Schwartz.

Chief Schwartz says calls for CO exposure happen more often than you think.

“It’s odorless, it’s clear, and most people aren’t acute enough to pick up the symptoms,” he said.

Quick snowfall on top of vents and heaters makes these homes more susceptible to CO. On Thanksgiving that became dangerous for actress Anna Faris and 12 other family members, ages three to 70.

The entire family got sick to varying degrees shortly after arriving at the home. At first, they thought their symptoms were altitude sickness. Two family members left dinner to go to the hospital, which may have saved this family’s life.

Read more here.

Read more Horror Stories from California!

Share Your Story

AirbnbWatch is here to support and give a voice to residents dealing with the negative impacts on short-term rentals. Your story is critical to raising awareness to the issue and keeping your concerns in the debate with policymakers and the media.